Thursday, September 27, 2007

A few things that actually got finished!

Raise your hand if you have ever started a project and not finished! Me! Well, this summer, as I have said, I actually did finish a few things. Let me first say that there's not a whole lot of options for wearable items for the pregnant chick out there. (Book idea, anyone??!)

Speaking of books, I must sing the praises of Fitted Knits, by Stefanie Japel. This book is right up my alley. As the weather gets cooler and I get my body back, I definitely plan on knitting more from this book. I immediately fell in love with the simplicity of the two-toned shrug. Here's my version:



I used Berroco's Bonsai. It feels brilliant next to your skin, even in the heat and humidity of the summer. The yarn actually feels cool to the touch. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend knitting fall or winter sweaters with it, but I would definitely knit with this again. In this close-up, you can see the sheen of the yarn. I love how the collar stands up too.

Where I work, my office is about the level of atmospheric comfort of a refrigerator! So, knitting a cute little cardigan was not only fun, but necessary. Cropped cardigans of different shapes and designs can be found in abundance on the net. I really just wanted to knit something easy, with a little bit of shape, in a washable, affordable yarn.
Let me introduce Terra:




She is much cuter on, but it's pretty difficult to get your five-year-old son to take a good picture! The hubby is on the night shift, which is about the only time I think to pull out the digital camera. Anyway, I'm going to call this my own design, because I pulled ideas from a few different patterns and threw my own spin on it. I know it's pretty rudimentary, but it serves it's purpose well. Terra was knit from Lion Brand's Cotton Ease, in Terra Cotta. Hence, the name. I used between 2-3 balls. The ribbed edging was done on 4.5mm circs and the rest on 5.0mm circs. If I knitted this again, I'd add more buttons, but I think it's fine the way it is.

Here's a detail shot:




I've got two more sweaters in the works right now. I also still need to start Oliver's blankie. He's still in the factory if you know what I mean. I only have about a month before he comes so I need to get rolling with it. I made him a pair of Saartje's Booties. Pattern here: http://www.saartjeknits.nl/ I still need to attatch buttons before I post a FO pic, but here's what they look like now:


I've been having an affair with the color orange lately. I've seen way cuter versions of these out there, but I really wanted to use this wool/microfibre blend I've had for a while. I'll make him a couple more pairs I'm sure.
Anyway, that's enough for now. I shall be updating soon on my sweaters. I'll keep them a surprise!
Laters!


No comments: